RE: You be the judge Photos and Chipped gears? How much is bad?

To: Michael Salter <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Subject: RE: You be the judge Photos and Chipped gears? How much is bad?
From: dicksonr@uwm.edu
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:27:33 -0500
After viewing Tracy's gears I have wondered about the condition of my gears and

whether they are in need of replacing or not.  I'm currently rebuilding a BJ-7
gearbox.  I have a new laygear.   The old first gear has one or none chips (I
forget) and the reverse gear has two chips.  Basically, they look like Tracy's.

Since I have a new laygear I was wondering about the compatibility and if it is

ok for an older gear to mesh with the newer.  Perhaps the presence or absence
of chips of chips is not the answer but the degree of case hardening still
present on the gears.  For me, this is all a balance of economics (I'm
certainly not rich and less money for parts = more money for beer), labor, and
how much I will drive my Healey anyway.  I'm just trying to get a feeling of
what one can get away with in a gearbox and still get a smooth working and
reliable gearbox for many thousand miles.  Thanks!!!!

Randy Dickson
Healey Archaeologist
63 BJ-7