The missing $1 part / AKA sweat the small stuff

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: The missing $1 part / AKA sweat the small stuff
From: <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:22:45 +0000
All/Alan,

I knew I saw this somewhere before.  I searched the archives and presto (now
that I can get search to work) there it was smack in my face.  What Alan
described is exactly what happened to my sideshift and the main reason I am now
rebuilding.  Here is the operative quote from Alan, the complete version is
found below from the archive 4 years ago.
---------begin quote------------
If this had been in the car, the net effect would have been some
> worn slider/laygear from being
> pressed together, and a 3rd synchro that would have rapidly failed due to
> the car still being in 4th but
> the 3rd synchro engaged.  Once the synchro wore enough, the hub and slider
> would could, theoretically
> have been pushed far enough apart that their 3 ball bearings and springs
> would have been able to
> get out and float around the gear box.... Hmmm.... not a pretty sight with
> all those rotating gears.
-------------end short quote--------
Well well, guess what I found in the bottom of my tranny, 2 springs and detent
balls.  Also a badly worn 3rd syncro and a missing buffer on the bellhousing.
I suppose I will be making a buffer tonight.

What material works best for folks?  Doug Reid mention rubber but does this get
glued in?

Tracy  (aint this  fun?)--------

-----------full quote bagins--------

Re: BT7 side shifter transmission question (quiz, except I don't have
theanswer!) LONG

Subject: Re: BT7 side shifter transmission question (quiz, except I don't have
theanswer!) LONG
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:15:33 -0400

Alan,
If fitting the bellhousing doesn't sufficiently limit the travel of the
selector rod you can add a buffer pad to the bellhousing, in the bottom of
the hole that the rods protrude into.  The factory manual shows this as item
3 on the illustration for the center shift gearbox components.  A piece of
rubber 1/8" to 3/16" thick will work, but
be careful not to make it too thick or the slider will not move far enough
forward for the spring-loaded balls to index.
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks