Re: Replacement Chassis

To: Rick Swain <grain@auracom.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacement Chassis
From: "J. Scott Morris" <jstmorris@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:18:05 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Rick;

The Jule frame seems to generate intense views.   In my own case, I have the
original frame under
my driver [ Mk II tricarb owned since 1984] and will seriously consider the
Jule frame for my Mk I
BN7 project car when I get to it.

In 1991, Martin Jansen of Jule Enterprises offered a restoration course.
Together with six other
participants, I paid for the privilege of taking a 1961 Mk I 3000 basket case
from a field and
rebuilding it over the course of one year. We spent almost every Saturday at
Martins shop
dismantling, fixing and then rebuilding the car.  When finished, it sold for
about $30,000CDN.
A review of my photo scrap book and videos brings back many good memories.
The experience was
written up by one of the participants, Don Roberts, and published in the
February 1993 issue of
Chatter [ AHC of America magazine ] page 10-12.

>From a concours perspective, I understand the Jule frame does loose points;
>the exact reasons will
have to be provided by the Concours Committee.   For practical purposes, it is
a stronger frame
than the original. A technical comparison between the Jule frame and the
original can be found in
an article by David Seib in the April 2000 issue of Healey Marque [Chatter
renamed]. You may also
wish to check out Larry Varley's web site:  http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/
  He has an
article reproduced from the March 1958 edition of Automobile Engineer.  This
article outlines the
procedures used by Jensen Motors Ltd. in production methods; specifically, the
use of resistance
welding.  It can be found at:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/acmefluid/jensenweld.html   Given that
the strength of the Healey comes not only from its frame but from the front and
rear bulk heads
and other internal body parts, is that extra strength necessary?    It all
depends on what you
want and how you plan on using your car.

One thing I have observed over the years is the problem of replacing the bulk
heads back onto a
new chassis and obtaining correct alignments of all the internal and external
metal panels.  That
initial step is critical.  Given that these cars seemed to have been
individually hand built,
mating of the bulk heads to a new chassis requires not only technical skills
but the knowledge and
art of the Austin Healey.

Good luck and have fun.

--Scott Morris, Simcoe, Ontario
  ['62 3000 MkII BT7 tricarb driver; '60 3000 MkI BN7 project awaiting]

 --- Rick Swain <grain@auracom.com> wrote: << Thanks to all for your replies
about a replacement
Healey chassis. Replies seem divided into 2 camps - those who like Jule frames
and those who
suggest I stay away from them. I've followed up with some for more insight on
their opinions.
...... >>

=====
J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives