Re: Brake help needed

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@pacbell.net>, Peter Ryner
Subject: Re: Brake help needed
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:38:26 -0700 (PDT)
Bob -

Micheal Salter posted on the list a while back that
these aluminum cylinders are specially treated - the
cylinder surfaces are treated & hardened at the
factory.  That's why a new unit will last for 15
years, but a rebuilt unit will wear out in a year...
the hardened surface wears out and then on rebuild the
bare aluminum is too soft and wears too fast.

If you can believe it, any brake master cylinder or
booster that goes bad... it goes bad most likely not
because of the rubber seals wearing out, but because
the inside cylinder surface has lost its factory
treated hardening layer.  It can't be rebuilt with new
rubber seals alone!

15-16 years ago I went through 3 rebuilds on my
booster, 2 rebuilds on my brake master, 1 rebuild on
my clutch master, and two rebuilds on my clutch slave
cylinder... all to no avail.  I replaced them all with
new units 15 years ago and haven't had a problem
since... I definitely learned my lesson (I didn't
sleeve any of these rebuilds, hence my problems).

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8