Re: Radios

To: Scott Willis <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Radios
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:38:19 -0600
Actually, any old piece of wire will work for a receiving antenna. The
coaxial connecting cable just keeps out some of the garbage signals
generated by the car electrics. Some antennas are a piece of wire that
is coiled around a nonmetallic stick. Impedance matching is only
"really" important on transmitting antennas. Most auto radios have an
antenna matching (trimmer) capacitor which can be adjusted somewhat to
the antenna. It is usually inside a little hole in the back or side of
the case. Use a nonmetallic screwdriver.

No antenna will work very well if it is enclosed (shielded) inside the
metal body. If you are going to "hide" it, make sure that it isn't
completely shielded.

Dave Russell
BN2