Still Rough Running

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still Rough Running
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:26:29 -0400
Thanks for the input from the list on my Rough Running situation.

I scrutinized the distributor today and made some changes. I removed the
ground lead and low tension lead from inside the distributor and replaced them
with braided wire. I thought may be these wires were keeping the plate from
rotating when the advance is given by the vacuum. I think may be they were a
little. What does low tension mean in this situation. Does it have to do with
the electrical load or the flippy floppyness of the wires??

New Information!
I unscrewed the vacuum advance adjusting nut, and the engine seemed to advance
better and run smoother at higher revs. This was a step in the right direction
although I thought that by unscrewing the nut I would actually be lessening
the vacuum advance.

I disconnected the vacuum line and found that the mechanical advance alone
does not seem to be advancing the distributor. In fact it seemed to retard the
timing and run rougher at high revs!

If someone has a photo of how the weighs go in the distributor, that would be
great to see. I really can't see how they could be installed backwards. Also
another question I have is, should the springs on the weigh assembly snap the
rotor back into the tight position after rotating the rotor manually. Mine
seem to have no tension to start off with but after turning slightly they
start to apply some force. When releasing the rotor after manually turning the
springs do not bring it back to the fully tight position. I'm not sure how
these should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Rick Neves