Rocker / Valve cover question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rocker / Valve cover question
From: "Sierpina, Stan" <Stan_Sierpina@translink.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:25:30 -0700
I received one of those polished and engraved alloy valve covers  for my BT7
tri-carb which is a very early model with engine number 29E H 148 from Moss.
This past weekend, I decided to take off the original and refurbish it however
when we went to put the new alloy one on until I re-do the original properly,
there's no way the original cap nuts would reach the stud coming up from the
cylinder head.  I see polished stainless steel cap nuts in the catalogue which
maybe are meant for these polished and engraved covers.   I need either longer
studs or a cap nut with a longer threaded piece.  We also put a new gasket on
which begs the question..does this fancy alloy model require a gasket at all
which might make up the difference?  When comparing the two, the alloy model is
deeper than the original.  If I need modifying/adaptor hardware, funny the
catalogue doesn't mention that.  Sooo...we put the original back on until we
figure this out.  Anyone else come across this problem?

As usual, appreciate your advice and thanks in advance.

Stan...1962 BT7...HBT7L/13855