Re: re. Bias-Ply Tire Recommendations

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re. Bias-Ply Tire Recommendations
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:25:42 -0400
On Wed April 28 2004 3:03 pm, joe mulqueen wrote:
> Who ever you buy from make sure they'll take back the
> tires that aren't true AND pay for the shipping.  Many
> people mount vintage bias tires just for show or low
> speed use so the tire purveyor thinks the quality is
> just fine (ie. we've never had any complaints...).
> Well, in a 5 yr period, I purchased 2 sets of vintage
> Firestone tires for my '56 MGA (5.60 x 15)and my prior
> '60 Corvette (6.70 x 15).  For "non competition"
> tires, I think they have the most attractive sidewall
> but both sets had a lot of runout.  I even exchanged
> one set but the replacements had similar runout.
> By the way, one set was purchased from Coker and the
> other from Lucas Tire.  The tires are made in New
> Zealand.

Not sure this info will be new to you, or even helpful, but back in the days
hen bias ply tires were the norm, the better tire shops had machines that
shaved off the runout from a mounted tire -- kind of like a tire lathe.
Always seemed terribly wasteful to me, but it made all the difference in the
world in smoothness.

If you could find a tire shop that had one of those, it might be just the
ticket, but I'm afraid that with tires being made more precisely these days,
those machines have gone by the wayside.  Maybe a truck tire place...
--
John Miller

buzzword, n:
        The fly in the ointment of computer literacy.