Re: Car Stopped Puzzle - confused

To: pdeturck@rochester.rr.com, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Stopped Puzzle - confused
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 21:14:25 -0700
PD:

I have had this happen to me:  the battery master switch allowed power to the
car - engine ran, everything worked.  The ignition grounding section of the
switch failed - engine quit.  I somehow had the presence of mind (it was a dark
and stormy night) to 'jiggle' the switch nob - car started right up when I hit
the starter.  Went back for another 'jiggle', engine quit.  Undid the
white/black wire terminal screw on the switch, disconnected and taped the wire
- end of problem.  When I later dismantled the switch, I saw what the problem
was - it had failed in such a manner that the main contacts were fine -
allowing power to the car, but the grounding contact had failed in the grounded
position - no spark.

Dave Russel makes a good point - I'm going to re-think the whole battery switch
issue.  Don't want to have to deal with another dark and stormy night again if
possible!

Do a test:  Take a jumper wire - touch one end to the white/black screw
terminal on the battery master switch, and the other to a nearby chassis bolt
or screw with the engine idling - see what happens.  (this assumes that the
white/black wire is intact and still connected to the coil terminal).

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8