Re: AH100-4 - a few detail questions please.....

To: Fiat500f@aol.com
Subject: Re: AH100-4 - a few detail questions please.....
From: CNAArndt@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 23:59:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/04 6:27:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Fiat500f@aol.com
writes:

<< Hi,

 I'm helping my friend restore his 1954 AH100-4 and I need help with a few
detail questions.
 Please feel free to answer any or all of them!

That's it.....for now.  :)

 Paul B.

< 1.  Which direction do the gearbox to engine bolts go, meaning, are the
nuts on the
      gearbox side or the engine side?  And are they BSF or UNF? >

Paul,

The bolt heads should face the rear of the car or as you like, nuts on the
engine side.  There are 5, 3/8" X 1  5/16" BSF bolts, which typically carry the
"Wiley" vendor name and a strength rating of "B" or possibly an "R".  There
are 2, 3/8" X 1" BSF "Dowel Bolts" with typically no markings on the head,
however once again the "Wiley" name is sometimes found.

Finally 2, 3/8' X 1  5/8" BSF bolts, I'm not quite certain as to the specific
length, hold the starter on and they too are "Wiley" brand only they will
have an "R" strength rating equal to 45/55 tons tensile or about a grade 5.

All bolts, nuts and British style square profile spring washers will be
finished in black phosphate.

< 2.  What type of hardware holds on the filler body panel piece that goes
between the
      front bumper and the front body shroud.  The parts book doesn't seem to
list any! >

There are 8 no. 10-32 X 1/2" Phillips pan head screws with the smaller
British nuts and spring washers.  A flat washer is also used and off the top of
my
head I believe that it's a 1/2" OD with a 3/16" ID.  All are zinc plated.

< 3.  What holds up the wires that come out of the back of the headlamps and
front signal lamps?

      All his wires are hooked up correctly, but they are laying on the front
tires.
      I've been told they are held up by a P-clip fastened to the outermost
grille securing
      stud.  I've also been told that that is wrong and that they are held up
by a P-clip up
      on one of the fender to body bolts.  So what's the word on this? >

The wires should be held up by a "P" clips on one of the fender to shroud
bolts.

< 4.  HOW does one go about painting in the silver portion of the dash? >

Carefully mask off the area to be painted silver.  I'll ask Roger moment
exactly how he did his since it turned out perfect on his BN1.  BTW the
original
silver on my BN1 dash was not very even around the edges and rather poorly done
from the factory.  My dash is all original with all of its original paint and
no extra holes.

Rich Chrysler or Richard Gordon please feel free to correct me on any of
these answers since I don't have an assembled car to refer to.

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{)