Re: Jumping out of overdrive.

To: Simonlachlan@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jumping out of overdrive.
From: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 05:52:47 -0700
Simon,

I forgot to mention.  Be sure the 3rd 4th gear lockout switch is
adjusted properly.  Too many spacer/washers  and
it may flutter.  This will burn up a solenoid (do not ask how I know)
and exhibit your Healey's symptoms.   This can
be tested by listening for the solenoid engaging in 3rd and 4th (without
the car running.).
Wiggle the lever slightly and see if it flutters to simulate the
vibration of acceleration and the possible pressure put on the
lever from carpet, rubber shift lever boot, dancing hula girl etc.

If it flutters just remove a fiber spacer/washer from the 3rd/4th gear
lock out switch as required.  Hope its that easy for you.

Tracy