RE: End-link torque settings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: End-link torque settings
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:49:06 -0500
While I admire people who believe in precise work, IMHO these directions
are appropriate - basically, obtaining visual feedback that the bushings
are preloaded just enough to ensure there is no "play." In my
experience, many parts with such bushings come with similar instructions
(the top nuts of shock absorbers that are mounted with a rubber bushing,
for example).

Specifying a torque setting might in fact be less accurate in this case,
because there are other potential variables - including the
compressibility of the bushing and the fact that you don't have a "hard"
metal-to-metal connection - that you don't have in a conventional "screw
bolt into engine block."

In fact, I find it refreshing to have the occasional part where I feel
NO GUILT WHATSOEVER in tightening by eye or by feel, instead of using a
torque wrench (though I am a believer in same for crucial components.)

-Graham