Re: Oil Pressure Questions

To: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Questions
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:39:37 -0400
Jack,
When you say "crank rods, mains, cam bearings checked to spec", does that
mean that after 42 years of use it was thought they were within acceptable
tolerances, or were they in fact turned and new bearings were installed to
suit?
Many years ago I rebuilt a 3000 engine and the machine shop gave the
journals a "polish" which I was told would only be a thou or so. The result
was about a 5 lb. loss of pressure across all ranges.
I would suggest the tolerances of the journals vs. the new bearing shells be
checked. It's likely these journals would have been better with a turning to
the next appropriate size, with bearings to match. A new pump, or at least
dressing the bottom surface of the alloy pickup plate the steel gears run on
would be adviseable. Also install a new oil pressure relief valve and
spring.
Rich Chrysler