Re: Rough Running Resolved - BRRRMM

To: "'Rick@genomictechnologies.com'" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>,
Subject: Re: Rough Running Resolved - BRRRMM
From: "Fournier, Paul H." <Paul.Fournier@alcoa.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 22:11:01 -0400
....  assembled the points and condenser incorrectly. I had the condenser
attached to ground, the bottom of the stack, instead of on top of the first
insulator, so it basically wasn't doing anything. Oopps! ......

Wow, Rick, it sure is refreshing NOT to have been the only one to have done
this recently.  You, me and the guy down the road who's BN1 was assembled wrong
several years ago, just to name three.  I did my usual Spring tune-up about a
month ago.  "I swear it was like that before," said I, after nearly 10 hours of
chasing down everything I could think of, playing swap-o-tronics with all the
sparkie bits and calling in a favor from an excellent Healey mechanic from two
counties away.  Even disassembled and cleaned the distributor.  Must have had
the points and condenser in and out five or six times.  Assembling them the
same way all times.  Car would start and idle just fine.  Ran a bit rough while
blipping the throttle without a load.  But, man, it fell all over itself
backing out of the driveway.  It was only after starting to disassemble the
distributor for the second time that we noticed I had grounded out the
condenser lead.

Paul "amazed that it even ran at all" Fournier
'62 BT7-II
Knoxville, TN