Re: Lubrication intervals (2nd attempt)

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lubrication intervals (2nd attempt)
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 06:50:34 -0500
My BN1 book suggests every 1,000 miles for most lubrication points.  It is a
good question, one I thought of asking myself.  I don't know what the right
answer is but here is what I do and why.

I lubricate everything twice a year, it gets stored for the winter, so once
before I put it away and once before I get it out in the spring
(approximately).

This may allow more than 1,000 miles between greasing, but I don't worry
about it, here is why:

1.  The car leads a sheltered life, it is stored indoors, seldom driven on
dirt or in bad weather, pretty much never in snow and road salt, in short my
hobby car, not my daily driver.

2.  I assume chassis grease has gotten better in 50 years.  Actually the
books call for thick oil 140 wt, at least for my slightly older car.  I
assume (hope) the grease stays put and does its job a little longer.

enjoy, now that I have answered you may get a flood of different opinions.

Enjoy

Greg Lemon
54 BN1