Doubts after engine rebuild

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Doubts after engine rebuild
From: AndiGrenouille@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:58:11 EDT
Hello Listers,
After a long time of waiting I took my beloved car for the first drive with
the freshly rebuild engine. Wonderful sound, lots of power b just great.
But I noticed, that the oil pressure is noticeable below what it used to be
before. Before the rebuild it was around 50 psi, now it is 40 psi. Water
temperature is around 160F with new radiator core.
Just by checking the records from the machine shop, I noticed that the
camshaft bearing clearance is now between 0,0024 and 0,0028". The workshop
manual
indicates a clearance between 0,0010 and 0,0020". So I wonder if everything is
ok on the engine:
- Is an oil pressure of 40 psi acceptable for a freshly rebuild engine?
- Does the large camshaft bearing clearance explain the low oil presure?
Crankshaft clearances are within limits, the rocker arms have not been
touched.

Furthermore when idling for half a minute or longer, some blue smoke is
visible at the exhaust. The rebuild shop engineer told me, that the piston
rings
and the cylinder bore would need approx. 1000 mls for running in before the
blue
smoke disappears. As I have never seen a new engine with a blue "exhaust
note", I have some doubts on this.

As I did not find much information on the above subjects in the archives, my
last hope is that somebody in the Healey community has experienced the same.

Happy Healeying

Andy, BN6 1958