Re: Front wheel bearings

To: Michael Salter <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Subject: Re: Front wheel bearings
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:06:00 -0600
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info. Seems to me that in order for the spacer to
contribute much to rigidity, it would have to be in compression quite a
bit, or the axle in tension, much more than the usual suggested nut
tightening of 40-70 ft lbs. Any movement or flex between sleeve assembly
& axle negates the benefit. Tensioning with a sleeve is an accepted way
to increase rigidity, I just think the existing arrangement won't help
much. But, as you say, every little bit helps.

I guess if I was really worried about maximum strength of the stub
axles, I would want more than a little bit & go for the DWR-uk heavy
duty units.

Won't go into the inner races turning on the axle theory.

Thanks again,
Dave Russell