To much advance

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: To much advance
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:15:38 -0400
I have been working on the distributor of my BN-2. The original springs that
were installed were not closing the weights all the way so I have been trying
other springs that I got from Mcmaster Carr. There are a couple of close
candidate replacements. one made of stainless and one made of music wire. I
tried them both and the engine ran well with both.

My problem is that it looks like I'm getting to much advance.

I'm measuring with a timing light. I rev the engine to 4000rpm and then turn
the knob on the timing light until the mark hits TDC, then read the timing
light dial. I'm getting around 55degrees advance. That seems excessive but the
engine is not pinging or anything but still my mechanic is beside himself.

I'm wondering if I'm measuring this wrong. I know I've heard that the initial
advance is 6 degrees measured STATIC and that with a timing light it might be
10-15 degrees (Dynamic).

We've had the distributor on a distributor machine and it appears to give the
proper advancement.

I have removed the vacuum advance and I'm still getting 48degrees advance at
4000rpm

Shouldn't the little nubs on the bottom of the weights that fit into the holes
on the distributor plate limit the mechanic advance??

Like I said the engine sounds great. I'm thinking I'm doing this wrong.

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2

_._