To much advance - more info

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: To much advance - more info
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:32:10 -0400
 I'm still trying to sort out why I'm measuring about 55 degrees of advance
with the timing like. (Not a good thing according to the experts)

I made a little compass gauge out of a piece of heavy paper stock. It has
degrees marked out in 10 degree increments. Anyway I looked at the rotor in
the distributor and held the compass over the center and rotated the rotor by
hand counterclockwise and it seems to hit the stop at no more than 20 degrees.
So I can't see how the distributor could provide more than 20 degrees
mechanical advance.

I know there is a two to one relationship between the distributor and the
crank but I can't get my mind around the advance numbers. Does this correspond
to a 2 to one relationship between the advance measured on the rotor and the
timing light pointed at the crank pulley??

So when someone says not to have more than 40 degrees of advance are they
talking distributor advance or crank advance?

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2

---