RE: Axle seals

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Axle seals
From: "Jim LeBlanc" <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:26:21 -0500
(Possible duplicate posting, removing the trailer this time.)

I had a similar problem over a period of several years.

First problem, the restorer used duct tape to cover the oil seal and
bearing surfaces when the housing was powder coated. Tape adhesive
residue on the bearing surface caused oil seal leakage. That surface
must be perfectly clean. I used steel wool to slightly polish it. It
must also be free of any wear marks, even a slight ridge caused by oil
seal wear must be corrected.

Next problem was discovered after several tiresome efforts. Here is what
Smitty and I discovered. The solution is to R&R the bearing and seal
with proper machine shop services.

>From previous R&R of wheel bearing and seal, the axle part holding the
bearing was bent. One must use proper machine shop services and/or
proper tools. Incorrect bearing installation can bend the bearing hub.
You might want to have a machinist measure it for "run-out".

Next after pulling a good spare from junk parts and replacing it, I
later proved that one also needs to also use the proper tool for
installing the oil seal. Just pressing it up against the stopping ridge
did not do the job correctly. At this time I was considering taking it
to Jack Walker to take out that stopping ridge and install a split ring
keeper so I could expedite seal R&R.

In summary, failure to use proper installation tool gives a slightly
misaligned oil seal and/or bent hub from bearing assembly. Either
problem will pump oil through the oil seal.

The oil seal must be exactly parallel with the bearing. Otherwise it
vibrates on the stationary axle shaft. This vibration pumps oil through
the seal causing messy brake linings. This is characteristic of your
report of oil dripping from the exterior drain port, the comment from
your second posting on this topic.

Getting the seal straight is not as easy as it would seem. Upon using
proper seal installation tools the problem went away.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M