Engine Quit then ok-ideas

To: List Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Quit then ok-ideas
From: andy65 <andy65@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:22:53 -0400
BJ8 getting it back on the road after sitting several years.  Had just set
the timing and took it for a test ride.  Ran great.  About 20 minutes into
the ride it quit suddenly.  Not a pop or cough, more like instant electrical
disconnect.  Lights worked, ignition light on.  I banged the fuel pump,
checked the coil wires.  Engine turned over but not a hint of firing.  Ran a
business card between the points, banged fuel pump again.  After sitting 20
minutes it started and ran like nothing happened.  Ideas????  Could it be
the coil?  The coil got too hot to touch when I was setting the timing.  It
is reading 3.9 ohms.  Crud on the points?  Fuel pump?  No ticka-ticka when I
first tried to start it but the floats may have been full.  There was fuel
in the filter.  Pump ticka-ticked when it did start.