Engine Quit then ok - what I found

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Quit then ok - what I found
From: andy65 <andy65@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:57:38 -0400
Thanks to the list for the ideas on this one.  Some I knew and others I
never would have thought of.  Nod to Stever for suggesting to check for an
internally broken wire to coil.  Wasn't it, but I'll remember it.  Drove it
again without fixing anything and no problem.

Here is what I think happened:  I found a paint chip loose inside the
distributor and some old grease built up by the point pivot.  It appears to
collect there over time but is not readily visible.  I think either a piece
grease flew off or the paint chip got caught between the points.  Some
problems have multiple causes.  I saw an occasional flash when separating
the points manually so condenser is suspect.  And I will replace the coil
because although cool now, it got  hot when adjusting points.   Will replace
points, condenser and coil.  Have disassembled and cleaned distributor.

How easily should the advance plate move?  The bottom half is the piece the
vacuum advance moves.  The top rides on two nylon pins.  Seems to have a
good bit of friction even after cleaning.  It doesn't move easily like the
mechanical advance.  Should it?

Andy