Re: how much can you take off the top of a piston?

To: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: how much can you take off the top of a piston?
From: John Luttenberger <johnl@golden.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:46:57 -0400
First of all removing .030 from the crown of a concave piston should
present no problems .  I've removed more than .030 from the tops of flat
top pistons with no problems, as long as the crown thickness remains
adequate, which will vary on the piston type and manufacturer. Having
said that, as long as .060  clearance is kept between the piston and the
head i t should also function fine . Measure the thickness of a
compressed head gasket and see what's left .

HTH

John