taillight lens

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: taillight lens
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:01:21 -0400
Hello, list~

We're coming down the homestretch with the 100-M after overhauling everything
you don't see. Now I'm detailing outside, and have come up against a small
question about the period taillight lenses. I have three, two of which have
the supposedly correct imprint number (488), but are quite dissimilar in
color, one being quite dark red and the other tending toward orangish red at
the thin edges. The third, which is similar to the latter one, is marked 48,
not 488, and has a lot of heat-shrinkage wrinkling in the casting. The dark
red one is well cast, the two less deep red ones seem a tad cruder and have
less prominent letters.

Which of these is/are the appropriate.