Re:BJ8 - The first bigger drive first impressions......

To: "James Sailer" <heliskier@direcway.com>,
Subject: Re:BJ8 - The first bigger drive first impressions......
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:37:42 -0400
James and all:

The fuel gauge and sending unit can be easily tested by removing, attaching
a ground to the base flange and then watching the gauge in the car as you
move the arm from down to up.  I did that very test recently after getting
disgusted with the erratic nature of my gauge needle.  The sender and gauge
appeared to work perfectly during the test.  After reinstalling, it was just
as bad as before.  I did some subject searching on the web and came up with
this interesting link: http://vernco.com/id697.htm   While this wasn't
written for British units, it still applies.  This got me to thinking about
my test and having provided an alternate ground.

I ran a separate ground wire from the sender - attaching to one of the
securing bolts - to a ground point on the chassis.  The gauge behaves much
better since making this change. It appears to be reading accurately
(although I haven't used a tank full yet) and only suffers from a very
occasional spike.

I guess making sure the gas tank is well grounded would work too, and may be
a good idea regardless.

Regards,
Mike Lempert