Re: Hot Problem-- over-the-top solutions

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Problem-- over-the-top solutions
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:12:17 -0700
Mike,
For his BN1, Mal Doherty of Los Angeles has built aluminum baffles on either
side of his radiator to "wall off" the front of the radiator from the engine
compartment. I asked him how he did it and he makes cardboard patterns by
trial and error. "Cereal boxes", I think, is what he said.

He also made a molded fiberglass fan shroud which covers the whole back of
the radiator.

The effect is pretty much like a '55 Chevy where the radiator occupies a
window in a wall and the only air going through goes through the radiator.

Of  course he has air conditioning and so he needs to pursue this further
than the rest of us who get our air conditioning in the usual fashion.

Air-conditioned Smitty has sealed off the radiator in a different way on his
BJ8-- essentially filling up all the openings around the radiator so no air
can pass in or out of the wheel wells. He has his tie rods going through
sealed rubber holes! He riveted together several pieces of galvanized iron
sheet. He feels the vertical tooth grille restricts airflow and has removed
half the bars.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA