Re: wire wheels' spokes breaking

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wire wheels' spokes breaking
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:36:36 -0400
On Mon July 5 2004 10:00 am, Bill Browning wrote:
> Yesterday I had about 15 spokes to spontaneously (while I was driving)
> break on a 72 spoke wire wheel
>
> What could have caused this, wheel not on tight enough?, old wire wheel?

Did they break at the bend?  Fretting corrosion and/or fatigue, maybe.  Spokes
have a finite life, which is shortened considerably if they're driven loose
(the spokes, not the wheel) for any length of time.

--
John Miller

I have had my television aerials removed.  It's the moral equivalent
of a prostate operation.
                -Malcolm Muggeridge