Silvering - Was - Driving light reflectors

To: "Ray Juncal" <gonzo18@mindspring.com>
Subject: Silvering - Was - Driving light reflectors
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@infoasis.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:51:54 -0700
Ray,

Modern practice, I presume, is to 'silver' using a vacuum process; but....

Always being curious about the silvering process, with regards to mirrors;
my dad, who is a chemist, told me that mirrors were originally etched with
acid then mercury was rubbed onto the etched side to form the mirror on the
smooth glass side.

Telescope mirrors have traditionally been silvered with a liquid process.

For more than you may want to know about silvering go to

http://dgmlnx2.sun.ac.za/personal/astro/telemake/silver.htm

http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Coslo/silver/

John
San Jose, CA