Re: Rear splines

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear splines
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:03:09 -0400
Hi, Barry -

50 oughta work.  I torqued mine to 40 some time ago based on the fact that the
studs are 7/16-20, and using a recommended torque table for Grade 5 bolts of
that size (cad plated, no special lubrication), and they're holding fine.  I
marked them with small torque stripes so I can see if they have loosened by
just looking through the spokes).  Torque for Grade 6/7 bolts is suggested as
55 lb-ft and for Grade 8 at 60 lb-ft.  The factory workshop manual does not
bother to quote a torque for the spline adapter nuts.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC