Re: Intermittent miss--good news and bad

To: msalter@precisionsportscar.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intermittent miss--good news and bad
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:46:23 EDT
In a message dated 7/29/2004 11:14:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
msalter@precisionsportscar.com writes:
would suggest that the first thing to do is short out the plug wires one
at a time to see if there is any change in the noise when a particular
cylinder is not firing.
Mike and all--

I tried that one at a time and there was no difference at all--the noise is
the same regardless, just changed by the rpm's decreasing when I detached the
plug lead, but not lessened by a particular cylinder's not firing.

The noise is easiest to hear at idle,and has a hollow sound which decreases
as the engine is revved.  It almost seems to go away as the rpm's increase.  I
do not have a stethescope and it is difficult for me to pinpoint its location,
but it seems loudest when I am crouching in front of the grille--what does a
timing chain sound like when it is loose and/or failing?

Best--Michael