Re: BJ8 Projects

To: James Sailer <heliskier@direcway.com>,
Subject: Re: BJ8 Projects
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:23:16 -0700
Jim:

Sounds like you're having fun!

If you decide to keep the HD8's, you should be aware that BJ8's sometimes
did not idle all that smoothly - the engine was always considered to be
slightly over carburetted with the 2 inch carbs, and the cam profile used -
the air velocity through the carbs is marginal at idle.  Of course, all
these years later, there will be huge variations on this from car to car.

Remember also that the Healey HD8 carb has a teflon bush between the carb
body and the shaft - it is likely that the bush is whats worn - one can't
tell until the thing is apart.  (this assumes that the bodies have not been
rebushed and reshafted in the usual way at some point.)  It's a relatively
simple matter to replace the bushes if the shafts are okay.  I have some
literature that will help.

I would make absolutely certain that the tuning is spot on first, especially
if you are going to do the cold airbox mod, so at least you have a known
starting point for tuning.

As another lister suggested, I would make sure that tires, wheels,
driveline, etc. is all correct - you may not really need scuttle stiffening
measures.  Both my Healeys are dead smooth at speed with rear drums
balanced, and near perfect wheels/tires installed.  In my experience,
assuming that the driveline is okay and the suspension is to spec and in
good condition, a vibrating Healey can usually be traced to a wheel problem,
and sometimes it can be difficult to diagnose.

You will love the 3:545 rear gearing with the Toyota gearbox.  If you
haven't already had the rear drums checked for balance, do it then - they'll
be off the car to do the diff.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb