Re:

To: <tld6008@mchsi.com>, "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:29:50 -0700
Hi Tim,

You are on the right path.  You do not need to remove the dimples.  Once you
knock out the pins at the ends of the inner slides, you can push the slides
first one way, then the other to get all the balls out.  Once the balls are
out everything comes apart.  Just carefully drill out the bad studs.  Be
sure that you drill in the center of the studs.  Some ***PO of the car I'm
currently restoring was very sloppy, and did not center the holes.  Once the
studs are drilled out, you can't move the holes to their correct position.
Then you can just weld in new 1/4" SAE bolts.

Depending on whether or not you need to replace both the upper and lower
studs, you may need to grind off the remaining stud heads or part of the
heads on the new bolts.  Just make sure that the upper and lower bolt heads
do not hit each other when the seat slides.  Just replace the original pins
w/ roll pins which are available at most hardware stores.

John Snyder

> I'm looking for information on rebuilding the seat slides. I have several
and most need either the upper or lower bolts replaced. It appears to me
that after removing the retaining pin on the end you could drill out the
dimples on the  sides then slide the pieces apart for access to remove and
reweld the bolts. Am  I on the right path? What replaces the dimples?

> --
> Tim Davis BN7

Check out the new British Cars Forum: