Re: trans

To: rdavies1@cox.net
Subject: Re: trans
From: Healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 03:00:34 EDT
Ron
A while back I rebuilt a center shift trans that had previously  been fit
with a "rebuilt" laygear. You know the ones available several years ago  that
had
the first gear surgically removed and a new gear welded on. Boy was  that a
mess. About 15k miles and the new first gear was toast. Metal was way to  soft.

Anyway a new laygear and first gear slider assembly along with a bunch  of
other bits were fit in the trans and I found after much frustration that  the
shifter was capable of moving the first gear to far on the  hub. The symptoms
were like yours. Tough to get out of first.  I  assumed that the laygear end
clearances where not correct or the shifter was  moving to far in the top cover
(bend shift fork, missing pad, or something like  that). Rechecked both and
they seemed correct. Problem persisted. Ended up  checking the first/second
gear
control rod position when the dedent on the rod  brought the first gear into
position on the hub. Everything was off just a bit  and the shifter was indeed
moving the first gear to far causing it to bind. A  sleeve was fashioned to
slide over the shifter rod to stop the rod when the gear  change is at the
correct location and everything works great. Only took a couple  frustrating
days
to figure out but the new gears available, at least the  ones I bought, were
not a perfect fit but could be made to work.
Aloha
Perry

Check out the new British Cars Forum: