Steering Seals

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Seals
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:31:35 -0700
There's room to stack 2 of the Chicago Rawhide seals in the recess for the
stock one. I did that 2 years ago in combo with a honed new bushing and STP
for fluid and it works fine with no leaks. My Pittman shaft wasn't too worn.

I made a skinny sheet aluminum funnel to get the stuff in there. You can
nuke any of the oils to make them flow better.

A benefit of removing the steering shaft--I believe that with the box out on
the bench it is possible to easily get a very good adjustment where you can
just barely feel the interference on center.

Harbor Freight has a cheapo pickle fork set and Pittman puller which can do
the job on the bench. The Puller is a little too big, but you can put the
shaft of a cold chisel between the body of the puller and the hub of the
shaft to shim it up when pulling.

Does anyone know if there's a non-factory puller which will remove the
Pittman arm in the car? I couldn't find one.

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: