Re: Aluminum Head Valve Adjustment

To: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aluminum Head Valve Adjustment
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:26:27 -0600
A couple of years ago, I replaced my BN2 head with the DW aluminum unit.
At the time, DW suggested their standard copper - copper head gasket.

This gasket was coated both sides with  Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket.
New DW studs, nuts & hardened washers were used. Torqued to 20,40,60, &
75 ft lbs in a semi-spiral inside to outside pattern. The studs have
remained uniformly tight & valve lashes have not changed, & nothing leaks.

And, it is quiet.

One of the often overlooked features of the original engines was a very
tight fit between upper pushrod sockets & rocker pivots. This provided a
hydraulic cushion which did a surprising good job of eliminating tappet
click. The shop manuals even mentioned how to assure that this oil
cushion was temporarily eliminated before final valve setting.

As parts have been replaced & modified over the years, this feature may
have been purposely or inadvertently eliminated or just deemed not
important.

A BN2 with with no tappet noise,
Dave Russell

GSFuqua1@aol.com wrote:
> It is indeed a very good gasket and VERY expensive but I know several that
> are running copper and have had no problems.  Special care needs to be paid
> the order of tightening and how much is done at a time.  When using a copper
> gasket I have had good luck with Copper Coat.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Gary Fuqua
> Branson, Missouri

Check out the new British Cars Forum: