Re: Disappearing dash pot oil

To: Peter Linn <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Disappearing dash pot oil
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:21:02 -0600
Peter,

Overfilling the pots will just result in the excess overflowing & making
a mess. The specs call for just filling up to the bottom on the "inner"
hollow tube. The one that the spring goes around & that the damper fots
into. Note that this rod is quite a bit below the actual carb inner top.
As an experiment, remove the main piston, hold it vertically, & fill the
top tube with oil. Then push the damper rod assembly fully down into the
piston. Any excess oil will overflow the top of the inner tube.  This is
obviously the maximum amount of oil that the chamber can hold.

With the carb assembled, insert the damper piston  with it's rod. You
should feel slightly more resistance as the damper valve is inserted
than when it is withdrawn. If for example you were using 40 wt oil, the
difference would be more pronounced than with ATF.

The oil viscosity can be tailored the the needs of your engine by
judging throttle response.

Dave Russell
BN2

Peter Linn wrote:
> G'day list
>
> My car's carburetters seems to have a big appetite for damper oil. I seem to
> be replacing it every few days (I use ATF) The carbs are H6 and are mounted
> horizontally on a fabricated manifold, which brings the carb flanges about
> 11cm from the side of the head. Is this down to vibration or some other
> reason?
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter Linn
> Brisbane