Re: Powdercoat Wire Wheels?

To: "Gary Moomau" <moomau@verizon.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Powdercoat Wire Wheels?
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:33:47 -0400
"Is the black Glossy, semi-glossy, or flat?  Does the glossy, semi-glossy, or
flat apply to other paints under the car?"

I think by the strictest standards, the black parts on the car are a gloss
black, but not a really high quality mirror finish. Particularly, I think the
radiators originally did not have a real shiny glass-like finish. I guess the
best answer would be that the original paint was probably a single stage gloss
black.
I think that a lot of concours builders go ahead and use the highest gloss
finish they can find, because it looks good, and cleans easily. -And because
in some judging, shine counts as much or more than absolute accuracy. (Whether
it should, or not). At a high level judging for just Healeys though, a
primer-primer-black-black-clear finish like I used might trip the
Shine-O-Meter of some judges, but that was a risk I wanted to take. Plus it
will hold up longer...

The only exception I can think of at the moment for black parts finish is the
exhaust. That had a dull black, or "semi gloss" finish.
Even if you are not building for concours, getting a copy of the Judging
standards guide from the AHCA would be a lot of help to you in these matters.

-As for "other paints" the only other paint I can think of is body color, and
it should match the finish on the body panels, although not as polished,
naturally. The silver on the wheels and drums is sort of semi gloss.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: