bj8 locking in first: to pin or not to pin, that is the

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: bj8 locking in first: to pin or not to pin, that is the
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:03:10 -0700
Update on my locking in first with 67 BJ8.

I called Dennis Welch this morning and spoke to someone in their trans
department regarding the first gear assembly I bought through Moss from
them.

He said my problem of difficulty shifting out of first was probably the
locking pin that is not included in the first gear assembly but instructions
say to either transfer the pin from the old assembly or buy a new one.

IMHO the instructions should say "transfer locking pin if you have one in
the old assembly, otherwise leave well enough alone as there is probably a
darn good reason why it was left out".

Hasn't anyone else had this situation? I would imagine the list could
benefit from their experience.

The Nocks did the last trans rebuild four years and 5,000 miles ago and left
the pin out, which appears to be the right decision. Any comments Norman on
parameters of when to leave it out and when to install it?

Thanks everyone :-)
Ron
67 BJ8
PS I'm sheduled next week to have the pin removed and will let the list know
the outcome.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: