Re: Hot Problem

To: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Hot Problem
From: Alan Schultz <alan@andysnet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:10:12 -0500
Finally got around to installing a regular 180 deg F (unsleeved) T'stat.
Drove the BJ8 60 miles to the British Wheels and Wings event at Oshkosh,
WI yesterday. Happy to report that the engine temp never got above 175
deg F. Ambient temperature was around 75 deg F. However, don't know if
there will be a problem if the car needs to idle for a long time waiting
for a train at a road crossing. I don't participate in parades and avoid
heavy traffic. Appears that my fears of overheating are over.

Alan S
67HBJ8

 Earl Kagna wrote:

> a couple of years ago, when the sleeved thermostat issue
>was the current hot topic on this list----are too cold for most of us.
>Sleeves were made up and mounted, and
>

>several were installed in various different Healeys (and one hot running
>MGB) and tested.  (I'll check and see if there are any left, Alan)
>

>*My initial message----------*
>

>>To add something to this thread. I called Nock's in CA and talked to
>>Michael. The sleeved thermostats they sell are 160 F opening stats. The
>>one in my BJ8 opens begins opening at 155 F. They have been trying to
>>get 180 F stats for a number of years. So for all those who are
>>concerned that 160 F being to low a temperature to operate a Healey
>>engine, there would be no choice but to use a non-sleeved 180 F stat.
>>
>>If anyone out there has a source for 180 F sleeved stat I would sure
>>appreciate hearing from you.
>>
>>Alan S
>>67 BJ8 (aint-it-fun)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: