100 - long break peddle travel

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 100 - long break peddle travel
From: Brian Mix <brianmix@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:30:24 -0700
Healey Folk,

Thanks for all the tips on why my 100's breaks would "pump-up". Not enough
travel in the linkage, not allowing the master piston to return to the
rear-most position.

Now I'm back to too much travel. But how much is too much? When I push hard
my break peddle goes down to about 1.5 inches from the floor.

Is that too far? Feels like it to me, but I may be used to modern cars.

Assuming this is too far what's to be done? I have around 1500 miles on a
completely new or rebuilt break system. I just changed the seals in the
Master cylinder and have adjusted the break tension on the backs of the
hubs, you know those bolts the tighten the breaks. They are all one click
back from rubbing. I've also completely bled the system with a pressure
bleeder.

Ideas?
BrianM

1955 100-LeMans