Re: bj8 accelerator problem

To: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bj8 accelerator problem
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:37:10 -0400
Hi Ron,
It sounds like a carburetor linkage problem. I am not familiar with the BJ8
linkage as much as the BT7 and BT7 that had wrong twin HDs on it...
In several places on the linkages between the pedal and the carbs, there are
crimped connections between components. Usually an arm, attached to a rod that
has rotary motion when the pedal is pushed. Some of these are keyed so that
the rod fits the lever only one way, some are not keyed, and some that were
keyed originally are worn, allowing the rod to rotate without turning the
requisite lever.
One such crimped or friction fit is on the pedal shaft, where it exits the
footwell into the engine compartment. On yours, there may be additional
(brass) levers on rods further on in the linkage.
If these are not absolutely tight,  or are worn, you could see slippage in the
linkage action on the down pedal, and then the rotated rod will prevent the
pedal from returning, when released.
If these joints cannot be tightened enough to prevent them slipping, you could
try inserting a thin piece of doubled over emery cloth into the joint before
tightening the arm down. (As a temporary fix).

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA