a better BJ8 seat position

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: a better BJ8 seat position
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:53:38 -0700
I thought I'd pass along a great solution I came up with to get some leg
support, more distance from the steering wheel, and a slight recline on my
BJ8 seat.

I'd seen a nice article on fabricating a new wood rail tappered from a thick
front to a thin rear for the seat slides to attach over.  Seemed like a good
solution but a lot of work and it meant removing the rails.

I found that the ideal cant for me with some space between the seatback and
the wheelwell was to move the seats back as far as they would go.  Then
remove the seats, screw a one inch bolt extender over the forward seat slide
bolt, a half inch one over the middle and none over the rear.
I cut the middle seat slide bolt in half so the double ended 1/2 inch female
1/4in 28 thread extender would have a bite to both the rail and to the top
bolt holding down the seat.  While in theory this system may be less sturdy
in a serious crash than the tappered wood system, I think it would be the
least of my problems if it came to that.

It is a much more comfortable ride for those used to a seat that reclines
slightly. It's amazing how just lifting the front of the seat one inch while
piviting on the back of the seat can make such a difference on your legs and
the distance to the wheel.  You can't see it unless you remove the seat
bottom and it is easily taken back to stock if necessary. I got everying I
needed at the local hardware store.

Sincerely,
Ron
67 BJ8