RE: No click click from fuel pump?!

To: "Rohan Marr" <rohanmarr@mac.com>,
Subject: RE: No click click from fuel pump?!
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:42:03 -0400
Rohan,
You didn't do anything wrong and haven't broken anything.  First, the fuel
pump will stop clicking when the lines are full and the engine isn't
running.  It won't start clicking again until the car is running or if you
have a fuel leak.  If it doesn't start clicking after the car starts, then
you may have stuck points.  A tap on the pump may work.

The trickle charger works fine with the battery hooked up or not.  Much like
putting jumper cables on the battery from another car.  You said the starter
works, did you try to start the car again?  Even if the pump stopped, there
should be  fuel in the carb to get the car started, if there is fuel in the
float bowls you have enough gas for a start or several attempted starts.  If
it is turning over but not starting at all, probably another problem, not
the fuel.  You can always open the float and turn the ignition on again to
test the fuel pump.  Just have a container around to catch the fuel or
you'll have a mess.
Good luck and keep em on the road.
Pete

If anyone can provide ideas of what to start with I would appreciate
the guidance. Everything else electrical looks OK, fuses look good,
gauges, lights and starter all work. My gut reaction is to pull the
fuel pump and check the points etc. It may be coincidence but I am
thinking it has something to do with connecting the charger and turning
the ignition on. If it helps I had the charger set to only charge at 2
amps (it has a setting up to 6)

Thanks all .. and I hope to have the Healey out and about again soon.
Regards
Rohan.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: