Steering wheel help needed - Derrington

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering wheel help needed - Derrington
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 00:12:41 -0400
Please excuse if you receive this message more than once.  I sent it earlier
today but it did not appear in my digest version delivered tonight, so I
assume it didn't make it for whatever reason.  This happens every now and
then but I know not why.  Original message follows.
-------------------------
Hello folks. I need some steering wheel help.  I'm looking for cars that
have original Derrington style steering wheels of the solid wood
construction.  By this, I mean wood that is not the plywood laminate like
seen on Moto Lita.  While most original Derrington wheels were also made
from plywood laminate, there were some wheels constructed from solid wood -
which would appear as bent into a circle.  These wheels have the slotted
spokes characteristic of Derrington.

I am working with Roger Moment, with help from others, to replicate a very
specific steering wheel that was made by Derrington and used on some
Healeys.  This wheel was the last of three styles fitted to the 100S.  It
seems it may have also been offered on later 100 cars, probably the 100M BN2
cars.

We are looking for data on the finger indent patterns.  Digital pictures
will be most useful, but a careful description will also be help and very
much appreciated.  In fact, now that I say that, I suppose if any of you
have pictures of wheels that meet this description, they would also be
helpful.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mike Lempert