Re: e bay scam

To: djjob@noos.fr
Subject: Re: e bay scam
From: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:21:19 -0700
Their histories are not necessarily faked.  They can be very real.  If
you dig into the histories you will see they build up positive histories
by purchasing low dollar items and follow through properly to achieve
positive feedback.  One could join eBay on a Monday and by Friday have a
50 or better feedback score for a hundred bucks or less.  One a score of
50 is reached, they can even get paypal protection certified.  Do not
ask how I know, let's just say it took a Lawyer (another Healey owner by
the way) to help me get my money back from such a person in a deal gone
bad.  I was lucky.
Ebay does not do much to protect buyers.   General rules of thumb (you
likely know this already):

If it looks too good to be true it is.
Never buy from someone with a very low feedback score (less than 50)
unless you know the person or have exchanged email or phoned.
Never do a transaction outside of ebay originally initiated there
(that's the current car scheme we are recently seeing).
Do not expect ebay or Paypal to help you (unless you are a power seller).
The authorities do not have a clue as to how to handle internet fraud
(especially on ebay)
The authorities will not take action against anything small or difficult
to win, they are overloaded and under funded already.
There are no humans to contact at ebay only automated response email
systems (not really but contacting one is tribal knowledge and they are
useless)

By the way I still regularly use ebay for both buying and selling, I am
just much more cautious and can usually spot a scammer at a glance.

Aint this fun

Tracy

djjob@noos.fr wrote:

>Want a gold concours BN6 for $ 9700!!! Better bid quickly only 17 hours left.
>
>The photo used is of a gold concous car, the real owner of which I was in
>contact with 2 days ago. The car is pictured at the Cranbrook Concours d'
>Elegance.
>
>How do these people fake their e bay history??
>
>Derek

Check out the new British Cars Forum: