Re: throw out bearing noise and cam specs

To: GSFuqua1@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: throw out bearing noise and cam specs
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:51:53 -0700 (PDT)
Gary -

The throwout bearing is graphite, so no amount of lubrication is going to make
any difference with your problem.

I hate to say it, but chances are either your throwout bearing is completely
worn & shot, or the diaphram spring mate ring on the clutch cover is shot or
missing.

The BJ8 has a metal ring on the diaphram springs which engage the clutch... and
sometimes this comes loose.  On modern cars they don't have this ring because
they use a roller throwout bearing rather than graphite.

Either way, it sounds to me you shouldn't fool with it too long and take it out
and fix whatever needs fixin.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

GSFuqua1@aol.com wrote:
A couple of questions for those more knowledgeable than I. When I depress
the clutch on the BJ 8 and blip the throttle, more times than not, I get a loud
growling (no, not the exhaust!!) noise coming from the clutch area. I can
feel it in the gear shift and through the clutch petal. If I let out the clutch
it goes away. This doesn't happen every time but usually I can make it happen
by blipping the throttle. Those are the symptoms. The question is, does
this sound like a throw out bearing issue? It seems like I read somewhere that
the bearing can be greased but as I have several different Marques I sometimes
confuse them. Any suggestions or direction?

Second, would someone be so kind as to either tell me where to find or share
with me the specs on the stock 100M cam? ALL of the specs?

Many thanks,

Gary Fuqua
Branson, MO

Check out the new British Cars Forum: