Re: Was headlights kill engine

To: "Kenny Johnson" <theswed@hotmail.com>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Was headlights kill engine
From: "" <ab7vf@zworg.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:05:35 -0700
"Kenny Johnson" <theswed@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On my first trip (other than around the block) in my car since a three year
> frame off restoration,
>  It seems like the
> generator isn't charging the battery.
>
> Kenny

   FWIW
  I would try polarizing the generator first ... I've had similar
symptoms on other 'old stuff'  .. generator types that have sat for
long periods ... The generator (unlike an alternator) depends on the
residual magnetism in the pole pieces to start the 'generating' process
... no magnetism, no output.   Over time, the residual magnetism goes
away when the generator isn't used ... Anyway, polarizing will restore
the residual magnetism and (hopefully) restore the charging

   ttfn, Jim

Check out the new British Cars Forum: