transmission noise

To: "Healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: transmission noise
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:08:00 -0400
I'm getting a lot of gear nashing noise when I accelerate and decelerate. I
seems to quiet out when the car reaches a comfortable rate of speed for the
chosen gear. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm in overdrive or not.

I just got this vehicle together after thirty years of sitting in a barn. I
didn't do to much to the tranny other than cleaning it out and replacing a few
broken parts. During the cleanup, inspecting the gears themselves I observed
no broken teeth and moderate wear. The tranny was pretty bound up and required
a lot of cleaning and lubricating to get it to turn freely.

I plan to rebuild the tranny over the winter, but does anybody have any ideas
on what I should replace or look for that might account for this type of noise
that happens only when the tranny is being pushed hard.

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2

_._