heatshield & battery block finishes

To: "HealeyList" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: heatshield & battery block finishes
From: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:15:03 -0700
Hello Healey Listers
Im' now replacing the cement asbestos heatshield panels on my BJ7 - what type
of paint / finish should I use to remain authentic looking and to protect
these panels from road road grime?

I'm returning the replacement panels I bought from AH Spares because the floor
panel doesn't fit and the other panels are too thin.  I made new panels from
1/4" hardibacker and will re-use the original spacer blocks.  What type of
adhesive should I use to the attach the spacers to the panels that will resist
heat?   The original adhesive was a very tough flexible rubber cement of some
type.

Also what finish, if any, was the oak wood battery block.  If no finish, I was
thinking of a clear matte urethane finish to protect it from dirt.  My
original block was painted black later but I couldn't tell what was underneath
if anything.

Richard Bittmann BJ7
Tacoma, WA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: