Freeze Plugs and Substitutes

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Freeze Plugs and Substitutes
From: JJSandSMS@cs.com
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:20:26 EDT
We cleaning a BJ8 block and have removed the freeze plugs.  New ones will be
installed (cup type).  But are there removable expansion type plugs available
to install at the rear of the engine.  I understand that if the rear plugs
start to leak it is almost impossible to remove and replace them without
removing
the motor.  Temporary rubber type plugs are available but these are only to
be used in an emergency.  There has to be a removable plug that is more
permanent.  Anyone one know of these or is there a slick way of removing and
installing a standard type rear plugs without engine removal?

Also any secrets as to installing the cup type plugs so they do not leak?
What is the best sealant to use?  Is the blue form-a-gasket type material a
good
application?

Broader question?  Are the purpose of the plugs only to protect against
freezing?  We live in a warm climate and it never freezes so are they needed?
If
not, is there a different type of plug that can be installed that is more
permanent?  I am not thinking of doing this but are just wondering.  Do purpose
built racing motors have freeze plugs?  What about Healeys that are/were raced?

What is done with those plugs to prevent coolant leakage?  Is the standard
plug up to the task?

Thanks

Jeff,
1964 BJ8